Exfoliate and nourish your skin with this invigorating Pink Himalayan Salt Scrub that is easy to make and will leave you with lovely glowing skin.
Himalayan Pink Salt and Coconut Oil Scrub
Salt scrubs are great for exfoliating dead skin, and in the process opens clogged pores, which helps with combating acne and other blemishes. By removing dead skin cells, you also expose fresh skin, allowing oils, moisturisers and other treatments to absorb easier. Sugar scrubs are easily tolerated by most skin types, without any irritation, as well as providing a gentle exfoliation, while salt scrubs are more abrasive. For this reason, I tend to use salt scrubs on the body and sugar scrubs on the face.
Pink Himalayan salt also has wonderful detoxifying benefits due to the minerals it contains, which makes it great for an all over exfoliating experience.
It is easy to make salt scrubs at home, with just two ingredients – pink Himalayan salt and a carrier oil. For salt scrubs, almond, olive or coconut oil are the most commonly used carrier oils.
I used a fine grain pink Himalayan salt in this recipe with coconut oil, which is very nourishing for the skin.
Essential oils can be added to salt scrubs. Consider the purpose of your scrub before choosing the essential oil that you want to add. For example, add Lavender essential oil for a relaxing spa experience, or Geranium, or Frankincense for supporting healthy skin. Peppermint has a cooling effect on the skin.
- If you have sensitive skin or find that you react to some products easily, do a small patch test on the back of your hand before using.
- Essentials oils are concentrated so should always be used with a carrier oil and in small amounts.
- This scrub contains salt, which can irritate a scratch or cut, so if you have one of these, avoid putting this scrub on that area until it is healed.
Using Salt Scrubs
Once you have made your salt scrub, it is easy to freshen up your dry skin.
Start by hopping into a warm shower or bath. Give yourself a few minutes under the water for your skin to softened. Then, apply the body scrub. To do this, grab about one tablespoon or two of the salt scrub and gently massage it onto your skin using circular motions, focusing mainly on the rough areas of skin, such as the feet, knees and elbows before moving to the rest of your body.
Once you have finished scrubbing, rinse off all the salt scrub. Then hop out of the shower or bath, and gently pat dry.
More Self Care Products
- 35+ Self Care Products You Can Make at Home
- Healing Calendula Salve
- Homemade Vapour Rub
- Essential Oil Binder
- Natural Remedies for a Sore Throat
- DIY Hand Sanitiser
- DIY Perfumes
- Lavender Bath Bombs
- Magnesium Body Lotion
- Cracked Foot & Heel Balm
- Citrus Soap
- Grapefruit and Mint Soap
- How to make Calendula Oil
- Peppermint Foot Soak
- Peppermint Sugar Scrub Bars
- Lavender Soap
- Hard Lotion Bars
Pink Himalayan Salt Scrub
- 1 cup Pink Himalayan Salt, fine grain
- 1/4 cup carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, or sweet almond oil or avocado oil
- 10-15 drops essential oils, optional
- Measure 1 cup of Pink Himalayan salt and place in mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup fractionated coconut oil and essential oils, if using.
- Mix together thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight, glass jar for a couple of months.