After making a few soaps: Lemon Poppyseed and Honey Oatmeal, I was looking for a different recipe to try. I have been diffusing grapefruit essential oil a lot lately and love the smell of it, so I was thinking of ways to incorporate that fresh citrus smell into a soap. And, here it is! This grapefruit and mint soap smells so amazing.
They also only take a few simple ingredients as well.
Goats Milk Soap Base – great for moisturising the skin
Grapefruit Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil
Poppyseeds – (optional) great for exfoliating
Microwave safe glass bowl
For those in Australia, I purchase my soap supplies from Aussie Soap Supplies in Western Australia.
I have to say, I love the citrus scent, and paired with a small amount of peppermint, this is one of the nicest soaps I’ve ever smelled. So fresh!
Other Homemade Products
- 35+ Self Care Products to Make
- Make Healing Calendula Salve
- Homemade Vapour Rub
- What are Carrier Oils and How do you use them?
- Homemade Dishwasher Tablets
- Essential Oil Binder
- All Purpose Cleaner
- Toilet Bowl Cleaning Powder
- DIY Glass and Mirror Cleaner
- Natural Remedies for a Sore Throat
- DIY Hand Sanitiser
- Soft Scrub Cleaner
- DIY Purfumes
- Dishwasher Tablets
- Essential Oil Binder
- Lavender Bath Bombs
- Cracked Foot & Heel Balm
- Citrus Soap
- Toilet Cleaning Bombs
- 5 Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 Benefits of Orange Essential Oil
- 5 Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 Motivational Blends for Women
- 5 Benefits of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Cleaning with Essential Oils
Grapefruit and Mint Soap
- 10 oz goat's milk melt-and-pour soap base
- zest of half a grapefruit
- 1 TBSP poppy seeds, optional
- 10 drops Grapefruit essential oil
- 4 drops Peppermint essential oil
- Zest half of the grapefruit into a small container.
- Measure out the poppyseeds and place in another small bowl.
- Have the essential oils handy, ready to use.
- Cut the goat's milk soap base into cubes and place in a microwaveable glass bowl or a double boiler.
- Melt the soap base in the microwave or on the stove top. If using a microwave, do so in 30-second increments as you don't want to burn the soap base.
- Once the soap base is entirely melted, add your oils, the grapefruit zest, and poppy seeds.
- Give it a quick couple of stirs to mix all through.
- Pour the soap into the silicone mold and let harden.
- It will take a few hours to set.
- I leave mine roughly 4 - 6 hours.
- Once your soap has hardened, pop the bars out of the molds and wrap up.
- Note 1: If your soap has bubbles form on the top after you pour your soap base into your molds, you can spray the tops of the soap with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) as this will help break them up and give you a smooth surface.
- Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity, so I do not recommend exposing the skin to direct sunlight after topical application of these essential oils. However, essential oils in the soap bars are found in small, appropriate amounts that will not cause any phototoxic harm.
Just a note: If your soap has bubbles form on the top after you pour your soap base into your molds, you can spray the tops of the soap with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) as this will help break them up and give you a smooth surface.
Another note: Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity, so I do not recommend exposing the skin to direct sunlight after topical application of these essential oils. However, essential oils in the soap bars are found in small, appropriate amounts that will not cause any phototoxic harm.