One of the jobs around the house that I really detests cleaning the toilets. I am always looking for ways to
get out of this make this job a little easier and quicker. As I am trying to incorporate more natural methods of cleaning, I have found these toilet cleaning bombs are great natural alternative for a quick and easy way to keep our toilets clean. Just pop them in, wait half an hour, give the toilet a quick scrub and flush!
Toilet Cleaning Bombs
What You’ll Need:
- bicarb soda
- citric acid
- 30 drops essential oils
- 1-2 tsp water in a spray bottle
- silicon tray or ice cube tray
- Measuring cups
- glass bowl
- stainless steel spoon for mixing
It can be a little time consuming to make these bombs as you need to add the water very slowly as you don’t want the mixture to fizz. I add water to a spray bottle and spray the mixture about 3 – 4 times then give it a little stir before giving it another 3 – 4 sprays and mixing. Continuing like this until the mixture can be formed together.
The baking soda in this recipe is a mild abrasive that helps neutralise the acids and deodorises. The citric acid helps dissolve the hard stains and reacts with the oils and baking soda causing the fizzy effect. The lemon, lavender and peppermint essential oils help eliminate germs and bacteria, leaving a fresh, clean scent in your toilet. There are many varieties of essential oils that you can use and I have listed a few options below. I love the smell of the lemon, lavender and peppermint but have also tried tea tree and peppermint, which I also love.
Other Homemade Products
- 35+ Self Care Products to Make
- Make Healing Calendula Salve
- Homemade Vapour Rub
- What are Carrier Oils and How do you use them?
- Homemade Dishwasher Tablets
- Essential Oil Binder
- All Purpose Cleaner
- Toilet Bowl Cleaning Powder
- DIY Glass and Mirror Cleaner
- Natural Remedies for a Sore Throat
- DIY Hand Sanitiser
- Soft Scrub Cleaner
- DIY Purfumes
- Dishwasher Tablets
- Essential Oil Binder
- Lavender Bath Bombs
- Cracked Foot & Heel Balm
- Citrus Soap
- Grapefruit and Mint Soap
- 5 Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 Benefits of Orange Essential Oil
- 5 Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 Motivational Blends for Women
- 5 Benefits of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Cleaning with Essential Oils
Toilet Cleaning BombsSimple Living. Creative Learning
- Add the citric acid and baking soda to the bowl.
- Add the essential oils. I use 10 drops of each of the following: Lemon, Lavender and Peppermint.
- Slowly spray the mixture with water, stirring continuously.
- If you add too much water the mixture will start to fizz, you do not want this to happen. These bombs need to fizz in the toilet water to work.
- Once the mixture is squeezable and can be formed sort of like play dough, it is ready to be put into the moulds.
- Press into your moulds and let sit overnight to dry completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Pop one toilet bomb into a toilet and let it fix and work for around 30 minutes. Then give the toilet bowl a little scrub and flush.
- I recommend doing this once a week.
- 15 drops of each: lemon and lavender
- 10 drops of each: lemon, lavender and peppermint
- 20 drops of On-Guard
- 10 drops tea tree and 20 drops peppermint
- mixture of lemongrass, bergamot and grapefruit