As we are looking to move more into using natural products, I have decided to try making my own washing powder that contains essential oils and no borax.
The Ingredients Explained:
I used Lemon Essential oil as this helps with removing stains and has disinfecting properties and Purification Essential oil helps to fight mould and odors.
The Epsom salts helps clean out the gunk that can build-up in your washing machine, helping your washing machine to run more efficiently. It can also help soften the water and acts a bit like a fabric softener. This ingredient is not necessary and the washing powder will work amazing without it.
The sunlight soap helps to clean the clothes, cut down on the grease and helps to remove the stains.
The washing soda is a water softener, a stain remover and helps to whiten clothes.
The bicarbonate of soda also helps with stains, whitening clothes and deodorises.
I have read many comments about borax. Some say that it should not be used with infants, some say that it can cause irritation and others say that it is fine to use. I will leave it up to you to do your own research, but personally with a child with sensitive skin, I chose not to include it in this powder. If you want to, you can use it in the place of the bicarbonate of soda.
- 4 bars sunlight soap
- 400g Epsom Salts
- 1kg washing soda
- 1kg bicarb soda
- 15-20 drops essential oils
- Grate or chop the soap into smaller pieces before adding to a food processor.
- Blitz the shop until chopped super fine.
- Add the Epsom Salts and blitz to mix.
- Add the bicarbonate soda and blitz again to mix.
- Add the washing soda and blitz.
- While mixing, add the drops of essential oils through the lid.
- Give it a good mix.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To use: With this recipe less is more. In a front loader - use 1-2 TBSP of powder, in a top loader - use 3-4 TBSP. Though, this is vary depending on the size of your washing machine. If you have a small washing machine, less than 7kg, try a smaller amount first.
- You can also use white vinegar and a few drops of Eucalyptus Essential oil in the place of fabric softener, if you wish.
I have a front loader and use about 1 TBSP of powder per large load, less if it is a small load and our clothes come out clean and smelling fresh.
If you would like to know more about where I get my essential oils from, email me at email@example.com