CVC, or consonant-vowel-consonant, words are some of the first words that children learn to read after they know their letter sounds. These CVC ~ Short A Activities are a fun way to help children learn to read, spell and write these CVC words.
What are CVC Words?
CVC words are short, simple words that contain consonant-vowel-consonant sounds. These short words are easy for children to learn to break down into individual sounds, making them perfect for beginner readers to learn.
Why are CVC Words Important?
Learning CVC words help show children that letters translate into sounds. These sounds can then be blended into words. Once children work this out, their reading skills really start to improve greatly.
Due to the ease of decoding these short words, they become a powerful motivator for children as they become more experienced at reading.
Once they have the ability to sound out these simple words, they begin to use these skills on more complex words with more sounds.
CVC words are a great place to start when teaching children to become fluent readers.
CVC ~ Short A Activities
For each of the short a sounds, there is a pack of activities that comes in both colour and black and white. The activities in each pack are:
- Flashcards – picture only
- Writing Flashcards ~Writing the CVC
- Missing Letter Flashcards – Write in the Missing Letter
- Find the Correct Word Flashcards – Color, use a peg or pom pom or paperclip to place on the correct answer
- Unscramble the words activity page – Look at the picture and unscramble the words
- Trace, Write and Match – Trace the word, write the word and match the word to the picture
- Cut and Paste Letters – Cut out the letters and paste in the correct spot to spell the CVC words
- CVC One Word activity page – read the word, find the word, trace the word, shade in the word, fill in the missing letter, box the word and shade in the picture of the word
- Dab the CVC Word mat
- Create the CVC Word with Playdough mat
- Build the CVC with cubes
- Build the CVC word with pattern blocks
The CVC short A words can be purchased separately or you can purchase the whole bundle together at a discounted price.
The options are:
Other CVC Activities:
- Western CVC Words
- Build a CVC Word – Crab Theme
- CVC Pencil Puzzles
- CVC Tracing Strips
- Build a CVC Word – Construction Theme
- Build a CVC Word – Beach Theme
- CVC Christmas Tree Match
- CVC Easter Basket
- CVC Short E Activities
- CVC Short I Activities
- CVC Short O Activities
- CVC Short U Activities
- Short A CVC Printables
To grab your copy of these printable activities, click on the link below: