Kids will love learning and practicing CVC words with this beach themed Build a CVC Word printable.
Check out the list of materials that we use with these printables.
What are CVC Words?
CVC words are short, simple words that contain consonant-vowel-consonant sounds. These short words are easy for children to learn to break down into individual sounds, making them perfect for beginner readers to learn.
Why are CVC Words Important?
Learning CVC words help show children that letters translate into sounds. These sounds can then be blended into words. Once children work this out, their reading skills really start to improve greatly.
Due to the ease of decoding these short words, they become a powerful motivator for children as they become more experienced at reading.
Once they have the ability to sound out these simple words, they begin to use these skills on more complex words with more sounds.
CVC words are a great place to start when teaching children to become fluent readers.
Beach Themed CVC Printables
This beach themed Build a CVC Printable pack includes a total of 89 pages. It comes in both a colour version and a black and white version.
There are 42 different CVC endings that children can practice with, using one of two different sets of cards – one with the name of the picture and one without.
To Prepare Using Multiple Times:
- Print out the beach scene page on white cardstock or on white paper and laminate the whole page.
- Print out two or three copies of the alphabet letter pages on white cardstock or on white paper, cut out and then laminate the individual cards.
- Print out one copy of the picture cards – either the set with the words, the set without the words or both sets. This all depends on your individual child and how they are going with their CVC words and spelling
- If using the black and white version ~ colour in the pictures after printing out and before laminating.
- You could add a velcro dot onto the middle of each of the boxes on the beach scene and one of the back of each of the picture and alphabet letter cards if you wish.
- Place the cards into different piles. One pile for the picture cards (the set they are working on) and one for the letters of the alphabet. Have your child choose one picture card and place it on the box on the picnic rug.
- Children then read, or say, the name of the picture before looking for the alphabet letter cards to spell out the word.
Other CVC Activities:
- Western CVC Words
- Build a CVC Word – Crab Theme
- CVC Pencil Puzzles
- CVC Tracing Strips
- Build a CVC Word – Construction Theme
- CVC Christmas Tree Match
- CVC Easter Basket
- CVC Short A Activities
- CVC Short E Activities
- CVC Short I Activities
- CVC Short O Activities
- CVC Short U Activities
- Short A CVC Printables
Grab your download by signing up below: