These CVC Tracing strips are a great way to introduce children to CVC (consonant – vowel – consonant) words while they practice their fine motor skills.
Check out the list of materials that we use with these printables.
What are CVC Words?
CVC words are short, simple words that contain consonant-vowel-consonant sounds. These short words are easy for children to learn to break down into individual sounds, making them perfect for beginner readers to learn.
Why are CVC Words Important?
Learning CVC words help show children that letters translate into sounds. These sounds can then be blended into words. Once children work this out, their reading skills really start to improve greatly.
Due to the ease of decoding these short words, they become a powerful motivator for children as they become more experienced at reading.
Once they have the ability to sound out these simple words, they begin to use these skills on more complex words with more sounds.
CVC words are a great place to start when teaching children to become fluent readers.
CVC Tracing Strips
- Print out all the pages on white cardstock.
- Cut out the strips. There are four strips per page making a total of 227 CVC Tracing Strips.
- Laminate for durability.
- If not laminated, children can use a marker to trace over the letters of the CVC words after they look at the picture. They can practice spelling the word by saying the letters as they trace them.
- If laminated, children can use a dry-erase marker to trace over the letters of the CVC words after they look at the picture. They can practice spelling the word by saying the letters as they trace them.
- If laminated, children can use playdough to create the letters of the CVC words.
These strips can be stapled or kept together with a binder ring.
There are three different writing fonts to choose from, depending on the age of your child.
The first is where they trace the inside of the letters of the CVC words.
The second is tracing the dotted letters of the CVC words.
And lastly, they can trace the letters of the CVC words in the lines.
Other CVC Activities:
- Western CVC Words
- Build a CVC Word – Crab Theme
- CVC Pencil Puzzles
- Build a CVC Word – Construction Theme
- Build a CVC Word – Beach Theme
- CVC Christmas Tree Match
- CVC Easter Basket
- CVC Short A Activities
- CVC Short E Activities
- CVC Short I Activities
- CVC Short O Activities
- CVC Short U Activities
- Short A CVC Printables
- Short O CVC Printables
To download these CVC Tracing Strips, click on the links below:
CVC Tracing Strips – 1
CVC Tracing Strips – 2
CVC Tracing Strips – 3