Can you believe Christmas is nearly here? The weather here is really starting to warm up, the joys of living in the Southern Hemisphere, and we are cooling off in the pool everyday. I have also spent time creating this fun Christmas Tree CVC Match activity for children to work on learning or reviewing their CVC words.
What are CVC Words?
CVC words are short, simple words that contain consonant-vowel-consonant sounds. These short words are easy for children to learn to break down into individual sounds, making them perfect for beginner readers to learn.
Why are CVC Words Important?
Learning CVC words help show children that letters translate into sounds. These sounds can then be blended into words. Once children work this out, their reading skills really start to improve greatly.
Due to the ease of decoding these short words, they become a powerful motivator for children as they become more experienced at reading.
Once they have the ability to sound out these simple words, they begin to use these skills on more complex words with more sounds.
CVC words are a great place to start when teaching children to become fluent readers.
Christmas CVC Match
This Christmas Tree CVC Match activity includes a total of 78 pages. Included is a colour and a black and white version.
There are 42 different CVC endings that children can practice with 3 different sets of decorations: one with a picture and the word, one with just a picture and one with just the word.
To Prepare Using Multiple Times:
- Print out the tree pages on white cardstock or on white paper and laminate the whole page.
- Print out the decorations on white cardstock or on white paper, cut out and then laminate the individual decorations.
- If using the black and white version ~ colour in the trees and decorations after printing out.
To Prepare Using Once:
- Print out all pages on white paper, cut and paste the decorations onto the trees and then laminate for future reference.
- Read the CVC sound on the trunk of the Christmas Tree and place the matching decorations on the tree. These could be just placed on the tree or you could have velcro dots placed on the tree and the other side on the back of the decoration ready for children to place on top of each other.
- Also included is a blank tree and CVC sound cards. Children can choose a CVC sound card and place it on the truck of the tree and then place the matching decorations on the tree.
Other CVC Activities:
- Western CVC Words
- Build a CVC Word – Crab Theme
- CVC Pencil Puzzles
- CVC Tracing Strips
- Build a CVC Word – Construction Theme
- Build a CVC Word – Beach Theme
- CVC Easter Basket
- CVC Short A Activities
- CVC Short E Activities
- CVC Short I Activities
- CVC Short O Activities
- CVC Short U Activities
- Short A CVC Printables
To download a copy of this printable pack, click on the link below:
Other Christmas Activities:
- Christmas Size Sequencing Cards
- Christmas In Australia Preschool Printables
- The Christmas Story
- 100+ Christmas Activities & Printables
- Christmas Math and Literacy Pack
- Reindeer Life Cycle Printables
- Bon Bom Number Puzzles
- 12 Days of Christmas Printables
- Felt Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Christmas Bible Verses Copywork
- Reindeer Unit
- Reindeer Tracing Strips
- Reindeer Lapbook
- Reindeer Fraction Cards
- Gingerbread House Bookmark
- Beaded Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Christmas Treat Bag Ideas
- Christmas Playdough