These South African Crunchies are a lovely, crunchy treat with a cuppa for morning or afternoon tea or with a bowl of ice cream for dessert.
You could change up this recipe by adding, chopped nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or dried fruits if you wish.
The crunchies can be cut how you desire, small squares, large rectangles, it is up to you how big or small you want each slice.
CrunchiesSimple Living. Creative Learning
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup desicated coconut
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 180 g butter
- 2 TBSP golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (350˚F)
- Grease a baking tray. I use a lamington tray lined with baking paper.
- Add the oats, coconut and sugar to a large bowl.
- Sift in the flour and add the salt. Make a well in the middle.
- Melt the butter and syrup together in a saucepan.
- When bubbling, add in the bicarb of soda.
- Pour the butter mixture into the dry mixture and mix together. It will be slightly crumbly.
- Press the mixture evenly into prepared tray. Press down with a fork or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180˚C (350˚F), then lower the temperature to 160˚C (320˚F) for a further 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cut into slices while warm.
- Leave to cool in tray before removing.
You may also like:
- Chocolate Weet-Bix Slice
- Chocolate Mousse
- Churros with Hot Chilli Chocolate
- Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Slice
- Menu Planning Binder