I used to make these brownies quite a bit in the past, but, due to trying out many other amazing recipes, I haven’t gotten around to making them for a long time. So, when R came to me and said he wanted to make some brownies, I gave him this recipe for easy chocolate brownies and off he went.
This recipe only contains 7 ingredients, (though we leave out the walnuts as I never seem to have any in the cupboard) and is easy to make in one large saucepan, saving on cleaning up.
R has now made these quite a few times on his own, because I know he is safe to use the cooktop and oven. Only you know your child. I would recommend you supervise or help them if you are not confident having them around a hot cooktop / oven.
Sometimes, we make a chocolate buttercream icing for the top of the slice, other times we just sprinkle with icing sugar. This is up to you. We do really love the icing better.
Easy Chocolate Brownies
- 200 g butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup walnuts optional
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cocoa
- 1 TBSP butter
- hot water
- Line a 30 x 20 cm lamington tray with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C
- Place the butter and cocoa in a saucepan.
- Melt over low heat. Do not boil.
- When melted, add the brown sugar and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Once the sugar is melted through, remove the saucepan from heat.
- Slowly stir in the flour and then the eggs and mix well.
- Fold through the walnuts.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the base of the prepared baking tray.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until a sewer comes out clean.
- Once the slice is cooled, sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into squares.
If you wish to ice it with chocolate buttercream icing, the recipe is below
- Add the icing sugar, cocoa and butter to a bowl.
- Slowly add a very small amount of hot water, mixing in between until you have a fluffy, creamy icing mixture.
- Spread over cooled slice and cut into squares.
You may also like: