While learning about Spain, we found out that a churro can also be known as a Spanish doughnut. These ‘doughnuts’ are fried until they are crunchy and then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. We love doughnuts so we have no doubt that we would love these.
These yummy churros with hot chilli chocolate are so delicious! Dipping the churros in chocolate sounded great! We did try it with the hot chilli chocolate, but it was a little spicy for the boys. You couldn’t really taste the chilli, it was only after you finished eating it that you noticed it. Our boys would have preferred normal plain chocolate.
Churros with Hot Chilli ChocolateSimple Living. Creative Learning
- 95 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 155 ml water
- 80 g butter
- 2 eggs
- oil for frying
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Hot Chilli Chocolate
- 1 L milk
- 150 g Lindt Excellence Chilli dark chocolate, chopped
To make the churros
- Sift the flour and the salt into a bowl.
- Place the water into a saucepan. Add the butter and melt over low heat.
- Bring this mixture to the boil before adding the flour mixture.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes away from the side of the saucepan and forms a ball.
- Transfer this mixture into a bowl and using an electric mixer, beat in the eggs until the mixture becomes thick and glossy.
- Then transfer this mixture into a piping bag that has a 1cm diameter fluted nozzle.
- Mix the caster sugar and the cinnamon in a long bowl ready to roll the churros in once they have been cooked.
- Heat the oil (enough to have an 8 cm depth) over a medium heat till it gets to 190c.
- Pipe the dough, 10 cm lengths, into the oil. You will need to cut the dough as you go.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, turning in the middle until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate and drain on paper towel before rolling in the mixed sugar and cinnamon mix.
- Repeat with the remaining dough in batches.
To Make the Hot Chilli Chocolate
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until just boiling.
- Take of the heat and add the chocolate.
- Mix with a metal spoon until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mix among serving glasses and serve with the churros.
You may also like: