The boys wanted some new play dough to create with, so since it is so close to Christmas, we decided to make some with the smells of Christmas. This lovely smelling Christmas Playdough goes well with these Christmas playdough mats.
With playdough the options are endless. I did use a mixture of essential oils and spices in this playdough, though this is all optional.
To make the play dough, I use this recipe.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 TBSP cream of tartar
- 2 TBSP oil
- essential oils
- colouring options
Combine the flour, salt and cream of tartar to a bowl and mix. Add the boiling water and oil and mix well until it gets stiff, but not sticky. Knead until smooth. Store in an airtight container for up to six months.
- Colouring options ~ Food colouring can be used, gel colours give the best colours, liquid watercolours also work. Natural colourings can be use, they just won’t be so vibrant. For orange/yellow add turmeric; for red, boil beetroot for at least 10 minutes, strain and use the water; for green, boil spinach for 10 mins, strain and use the water. Kool aid can also be used, but it may alter the scent.
- Scents ~ Just one or two drops of essential oils can be used, just check the safety for the oils before using. Extracts such as vanilla and peppermint can be used but start with a small amount as you can always add more.
- Extras ~ Glitter is great for that sparkling effect. Sequins can also be added.
- Spiced Orange ~ 1 drop of Orange Essential Oil, 1 tsp cinnamon (the spice) and orange colouring. Or, you could just use 1-2 tsp pumpkin spice and orange colouring and have Pumpkin Spiced Playdough.
- Gingerbread ~ 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1 part nutmeg, 1 drop Orange essential oil and brown colouring
- Sugar Cookie ~ 1 tsp cinnamon sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract and yellow colouring
- Eucalytpus / Fir Needle ~ 1 drop of either Eucalyptus or Fir Needle essential oil and green colouring. You could also steep some pine sprigs or eucalyptus leaves in a few cups of boiling water, strain and use.
- Candy Cane ~ 2 drops Spearmint essential oil and 1 tsp vanilla extract and red colouring
- Nutmeg ~ 1-2 tsp nutmeg and a little brown colouring to make it tan
What are your favourite Christmas scents?
Here are some fun ways to use this playdough:
DISCLAIMER: THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FOOD & DRUG ADMINISTRATION. THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE IS NOT INTENDED OR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENT. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON THIS WEBSITE.