Young children will enjoy learning their sight words with these fun First Grade Sight Word Printables.
What are Sight Words?
Sight words are words that we see the most frequently while reading and writing. They don’t often have an image that can be used to picture them. Due to their high appearance, children need to be able to recognise, and understand them as soon as they read them. This will enable them to read fluently and independently.
Not all of the sight words follow the standard phonetic spelling patterns either. These words including as talk, come, once and the, are known as non-phonetic or tricky words. They are difficult for children to sound out, making it easier to teach children to identify them through recognition and repetition.
First Grade Sight Word Printables
Sight words are the most common words in the English language which all children should learn to read by sight. These words are not sound out. Learning these words is a great base for reading, another very important skill that they will learn.
With this activity, children will learn 41 sight words from the First Grade list.
In this printable sight word pack, you will receive:
- One flashcard for each of the forty-one different sight words
- Two bookmarks that contain a list of all the forty-one different sight words that can be used to help work out which words children need to work on, or they could be used to check your child’s ability after they complete the worksheets
This is then followed by one page for each of the forty-one sight words – after, again, an, any, as, ask, by, could, every, fly, from, give, going, had, has, her, him, his, how, just, know, let, live, may, of, old, once, open, over, put, round, some, stop, take, thank, them, then, think, walk, were, when.
Each page consists of a variety of activities to help children learn to read and spell the sight word. These activities include:
- Read the word
- Trace the word
- Shade (colour) in the word
- Write the word
- Box the word
- Find the word in the word search
- Count the letters in the word and colour the correct number
- Find the word in the short sentence
More Sight Word Printables
- Treasure Chest Sight Words Activity
- Beach Sight Word Printables
- Snail Sight Words Activity
- Fishing for Sight Words Activity
- Pre-Primer Sight Word Printables
- Primer Sight Word Printables
After you have grabbed your copy, print of the coloured or black and white version of the flashcards and bookmarks. The flashcards will need to be cut up as there are ten cards per page. I would recommend that these are laminated for durability.
There are two bookmarks per page which will also need to be cut out. You could print enough copies of these so that you have one bookmark for to give to each child to use as they learn these sight words. I would also recommend that these be laminated too.
The activity pages are no-prep pages all in black and white for easy printing.
To get your copy of this sight word activity, sign up below: