Young children will enjoy learning their sight words with this fun Snail Sight Word Activity.
What are Sight Words?
Sight words are words that we see the most frequently while reading and writing. They don’t often have an image that can be used to picture them. Due to their high appearance, children need to be able to recognise, and understand them as soon as they read them. This will enable them to read fluently and independently.
Not all of the sight words follow the standard phonetic spelling patterns either. These words including as talk, come, once and the, are known as non-phonetic or tricky words. They are difficult for children to sound out, making it easier to teach children to identify them through recognition and repetition.
Snail Sight Words Activity
Sight words are the most common words in the English language which all children should learn to read by sight. These words are not sound out. Learning these words is a great base for reading, another very important skill that they will learn.
With this activity, children will learn 316 sight words from the Dolch list – Pre-Primer, Primer, First Grade, Second Grade, Third Grade and Nouns.
After you have grabbed your copy, print of the version you want to use – either the black and white version or the colour version. There is one page that contains two of the grass rectangles. These can be cut out on the black solid lines (as above) or around the grass (as below). The same goes for the snails. They can be cut around the snails or around the box. The sight words also need to be cut out around the rectangular box as well. I would recommend laminating all of the parts for durability.
Children will choose a grass background and then a sight word. They can practice reading the sight word on the strip before searching through the snails, finding the correct letters to spell the word.
More Sight Word Printables
- Treasure Chest Sight Words Activity
- Beach Sight Word Printables
- Snail Sight Words Activity
- Fishing for Sight Words Activity
- Pre-Primer Sight Word Printables
- Primer Sight Word Printables
- First Grade Sight Word Printables
- Second Grade Sight Word Printables
- Third Grade Sight Word Printables
- Noun Sight Word Printables
- Primer Sight Word Worksheets
- First Grade Sight Word Worksheets
- Second Grade Sight Word Worksheets
- Third Grade Sight Word Worksheets
- Noun Sight Word Worksheets
- Pre-Primer Sight Word Books
- Primer Sight Word Books
To get your copy of this sight word activity, sign up below: