We love carrot cake, so when we had a lot of carrots that needed to be used, I decided to bake a carrot cake. This carrot cake with cream cheese icing was moist and delicious.
Make the Carrot Cake Batter
Cream Cheese Icing
Due to the cream cheese icing, you will need to store this cake in the fridge for around 5 to 6 days.
Cupcakes or a single-layer cake?
This amazing recipe can absolutely be used to make cupcakes instead of a two-layer cake. You won’t need to bake them as long, try around 15 to 18 minutes, then test to see if a skewer inserted into the centre of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let them cool a little before removing and cooling completely on a cooling rack. You should be able to get around 24 cupcakes from this recipe. Once cooled, ice with the cream cheese icing.
You can also make one single layer cake with this recipe, though you will need to add more time when baking – around 10 – 12 minutes. Make sure that you have a pan with large sides so that it does not overflow. This recipe could also be made into a slice, in a large slice tray with high sides. Again, the baking time will need to be adjusted. Once cooled, ice with the cream cheese icing.
Oil – Though we haven’t tried, you should be able to swap out some of the oil for applesauce or even mashed bananas.
- You could also try adding one cup of pineapple – fresh or tinned with the juice drained.
- You could add raisins, desiccated coconut, pecans or walnuts to this recipe for a different taste. Stick to no more than 1 cup of add ins.
More Cake Recipes
- Vanilla Crazy Cake
- Chocolate Crazy Cake
- Buried Treasure Cupcakes
- Cappuccino Cupcakes
- Milo Cupcakes
- Chocolate Weet-Bix Slice
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 175 g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup oil
- 175 g wholemeal plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 orange zest finely grated
- 200 g grated carrot
For the icing
- 225 g cream cheese
- 110 g butter softened
- 225 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Make the Cake Batter
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C and line 2x 20cm round can tins with baking paper.
- Whisk the sugar, eggs and oil together until thick.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, and spices and mix well.
- Add the orange zest and the carrot.
- Divide the mixture between the two pans and bake for 30-35 mins.
- Let cool in the tin for a couple of minutes, before removing and cooling completely on a cooling rack. Once the cake is cooled, then it is ready to be iced.
Make the Icing
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Then beat in the icing sugar, a little at a time.
- Add the vanilla and whisk until smooth and light.
- Use one-third of the icing to sandwich the cakes together and the other half over the rest of the cake.
- Decorate with a little nutmeg. You could also add a few chopped nuts to the top of the cake for decoration.