On the 31st October 1517, Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-Five Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany. This is regarded as the pivotal point that launched the era known as the Protestant Reformation. This day, known as Reformation Day, is not only the anniversary of this event by Martin Luther, it is also a day that celebrates religious, social and political changes. In 1521 (four years after his theses), Luther was brought to be questioned by the Diet of Worms and challenged to take back his statements. While hidden away, Martin Luther translated the Bible so people could read it.
Books To Read / Library List
- The Church History ABCs : Augustine and 25 Other Heroes of the Faith
- Reformation ABCs: The People, Places, and Things of the Reformation―from A to Z
- The Life of Martin Luther
- Martin Luther: What Should I Do?
- Martin Luther: A Man Who Changed the World
- Martin Luther: Father of the Reformation
- Courage and Conviction: Chronicles of the Reformation Church (History Lives series)
- Reformation Heroes
- Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism
Unit Studies and Information
- A Night of Reformation from Doorpost
- Reformation Day Information from Sunday School Lessons
- Reformation Unit / Lapbook from Homeschool Share
- Reformation Unit from Core Knowledge
- Reformation / Martin Luther Set from Currclick
- Heroes of the Reformation Booklet from Child Ministry
- Martin Luther Notebooking Pages from Simple Living. Creative Learning
- Host a Reformation Day Party from Sojourn Kids
- Celebrate Reformation Day from How to Homeschool my Child
- Play Pin the Beard on the Theologian Game
Art and Music Activities
- Luther Rose Colouring Page from Glory Gazer
- Martin Luther Online Colouring Page from Hello Kids
- The knights in the medieval times used shields decorated with a coat of arms to identify themselves. Create your own Coat of Arms.
- Make a Reformation Day Colouring Book from Measure of a Gift.
- In the Middle Ages, dried herbs and flowers were believed to have medicinal properties. Make your own dried lavender sachets (potpourri) and decorate them.
- Many churches in the Middle Ages had stained glass windows. Create your own stained glass window or painting.
- Make a Luther Rose Paper Snowflake from Lutheran Arts
- Sing ‘A Mighty Fortress is our God‘
- Create your own Ninety-Five Theses Scroll
- Bake some German food or food from the medieval time period.
- Research the artists of this time period – Michelangelo, Durer and Da Vinci.
- Research the music and composers of this time period.
- Create your own Lego Reformation Scene like this one.
- Write a verse of the Bible using Illuminated Letters
- Here are some fun Martin Luther Crafts
- When Luther penned his Ninety-Five Theses, he didn’t use a computer. Create a scroll and write the words to ‘A Mighty Fortress is Our God’ on it with a quill.
- Research and write a report on other Protestant Reformers such as John Calvin, John Wycliffe, John Know, and Martin Bucer.
- Latin was used by the Catholic Church and Luther wrote his Ninety-Five Theses in Latin. Research Latin, listen to the language, learn to say some Latin passages and try translating a passage you have written into latin.
- Luther translated the Bible into German. Research the German language and learn to pronounce some words in German.
- Memorise Ephesians 2:8-9
- Read more of Luther’s Works
- Read and copy the Five Solas
History and Geography Activities
- Label a map of Germany, include cities such as Wittenberg, Worms and Eisenach, that were part of Luther’s life
- Make a Timeline of Luther’s life
- Dress up in Renaissance attire – a prince, princess, nun, monk, knight or a maiden. Check out these great costumes at Mustard Seeds.
- Research the Middle Ages and write a report on the food, clothing, religion, eduction or diseases.
- Compare/contrast life in the Middle Ages to life today.
- Research the printing press and the importance of this invention.
- Read about the history of Reformation Day
Other Studies of Famous People
- Evelyn The Entomologist Flip Book
- Helen Keller Study
- Dr Ellen Ochoa Flip Book
- Frances Gabe Flip Book
- Amelia Earhart Study
- Dr Temple Grandin Flip Book
- Rosa Parks Study
- Anne Frank Study
- The Wright Brothers Study
- Martin Luther King Jr Study
- Abraham Lincoln Study