I was going to make pizzas for tea and went looking for tomato paste to put on the bases. I realised that we didn’t have any and didn’t feel like a taking a trip to the shops to get some.
So instead I googled some tomato paste recipes. I kept some in a jar (upside down) in the fridge and the rest I froze in ice cube trays until I need them. One ice cube of tomato paste is close to 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste.
Tomato Paste (Thermo)
- 1.5 kg of very ripe red tomatoes. (It might be less, depending on what will fit into the bowl!)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- I teaspoon of rock salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- Put the tomatoes into the Thermomix bowl; whatever you can fit. I managed to squish the tomatoes down with the lid.
- Chop for 10-30 seconds on speed 6.
- Add salt, sugar, oil and bay leaves.
- Cook for 40 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 1.
- Turn speed slowly up to 6, then build up to 9. Pulverise for a minute.
- Scrape the mixture from the sides down into the bowl, then cook for another 40 minutes as above.
- Keep repeating steps 4 and 5 until the tomato paste is the consistency and colour you prefer.
- This recipe won’t keep long in the fridge, so I froze it into blocks, with only a small amount kept in the fridge.
I also keep the jar in the fridge upside down on its lid. This also helps keep the tomato paste fresh.