After cleaning my fridge out with this natural fridge cleaner, I decided to make some Natural Fridge Deodorisers to keep it selling clean and fresh until the next time I clean it.
Currently, we only have a small fridge due to living in a very old house with very small doorways, so I made these small fridge deodorisers in a chocolate mould and only use 1 at a time. For a large fridge, I would recommend making them slightly bigger.
In these fridge deodorisers, I used orange essential oil, though you can also use purify, lemon, peppermint, rosemary or tea tree (melaleuca). The baking soda really goes well with these essential oils, helping to absorb odors, keeping unwanted smells out of your fridge.
- 2 1/2 cups baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- 15 drops Purification / Orange / Lemon essential oil
- Silicone mold
- Combine baking soda, 1/2 cup water, and the essential oils you have chosen into glass bowl.
- Stir together with a metal spoon.
- The mixture should resemble damp sand, so add more water, a little at a time, if needed.
- Divide mixture equally into silicone mould and push down with your fingers to compact it.
- Allow it to rest 2-3 days or until mixture hardens.
- Once hard, place in refrigerator to help eliminate unpleasant odors.
- Store additional fridge deodorisers in an airtight container until ready to use.
- One disk will last up to a month in your fridge.
- When replacing the deodorisers, don't throw the old one out. Place it on the plug hole your kitchen, bathroom or laundry sink and pour a little vinegar over it till it fizzes and then disappears. Pour a litre or two of boiling hot water down the hole to clean out your pipes.
Note: Some citrus-based oils, might react with the bicarb soda, so you may see a little bubbling. This does not effect the scent-busting abilities of the deodorisers.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group where we discuss lots of homeschooling activities and printables for kids every day!