These construction themed contraction cards are a great way for young children to learn a variety of contractions. These are really colourful flashcards which will provide your child with lots of fun.
What are Contractions?
Contractions are ‘short cut’ words that are used in our speech. As they are so commonly used, children need to learn to read and write using them. These contraction printables are one way that can be used to support children in learning this concept.
An easy way to introduce contractions, is to define the word ‘contract.’ “Contract’ means to get smaller or shorter, so therefore, a contraction is a shorter or smaller way to say two words. The apostrophe in the word takes the place of the missing letters.
Construction Contraction Cards
In this printable pack, there are 78 different contractions for children to learn. There are two cards for each contraction – one with the two words and one with the contraction.
The contractions in this pack include:
- aren’t, can’t, couldn’t, didn’t, I’m, don’t, hasn’t, hadn’t, isn’t, wasn’t, shouldn’t, weren’t, wouldn’t, doesn’t, haven’t, mightn’t, mustn’t, shan’t, won’t
- you’re, we’re, they’re, what’re, who’re
- I’d, you’d, we’d, he’d, she’d, they’d, I’d, you’d, we’d, he’d, she’d, who’d
- I’ll, you’ll, we’ll, they’ll, he’ll, she’ll, who’ll, what’ll
- I’ve, you’ve, we’ve, they’ve, could’ve, would’ve, should’ve, what’ve, what’ve, who’ve
- what’s, he’s, she’s, who’s, where’s, here’s, that’s, there’s, let’s
Preparing the Cards
To prepare these cards, print off the pages of the pdf file on white paper or white cardstock.
There are eight cards per letter page, which will need to be cut apart. I prefer to laminate the cards for durability.
The cards can be kept together in a zip lock bag or with a binder ring in the top left hand corner.
Using the Cards
These printable contraction cards can be used in multiple ways:
- Use to match the words with their contraction
- Use in memory games
- In conjunction with worksheets where the child writes the words and their corresponding contractions
- In a busy bag
- In a file folder game
In this printable pdf file, you will receive both the colour and a black and white version of the cards.
More Literacy Resources
- Punctuation Cards
- Teaching Punctuation
- Spelling Worksheets
- 100+ Free Printables and Resources
- 60 Books Kids Should Read
To grab your copy of these Construction Themed Contraction Cards, click on the link below: