I was cleaning out the kitchen when I found quite a few passionfruit that were not looking as good as they should have been, so I decided that I would have to use them up pretty quickly. I thought, why not try some passionfruit curd as it can be used in a variety of ways; in a sandwich, in-between layers of a sponge cake, dolloped over muffins and pancakes or poured into a tart shell.
This recipe has only four ingredients and is very quick and easy to make. The result is amazingly yummy! We enjoyed some on our mini pavlovas that I made with the left over egg whites. All up, this recipe makes about 1 cup of passionfruit curd and I poured this into 2 small glass jars. For the first jar, I pushed the curd through a sieve to remove the seeds, the second jar I just poured the curd in, seeds and all.
- 125 g chilled butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (155 g) caster sugar
- 3/4 cup passionfruit pulp
- 4 egg yolks
- Combine the butter, sugar, passionfruit pulp and egg yolks in a medium saucepan.
- Cook, over low heat, for 10 - 15 minutes until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Transfer to a sterilised jar and place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.