The XXII Winter Olympics are held this year in Sochi, Russia. They start in the 7th February and end on the 23rd February.
Our boys are really excited to watch these Olympics, now that they have seen and played in snow. They loved tobogganing, throwing snowballs and making snowmen and now can not wait to see other sport activities that you can do on the snow.
Here are some activities that are doing.
We played ‘snowball’ ring toss (idea from Make and Takes). All we did was join a pipe cleaner, one in each of the Olympic colours and play them on a table. The boys stood back about 1/2 metre and took turns at trying to get yoghurt coated goji berries or marshmallows into the rings.
We used salt dough to make medals. Make sure to add the hole for the ribbon when you shape the dough into the medals. When they dried we painted them and added the ribbon.
The torch was made for a gold piece of cardboard that was rolled up and stapled together at the top. We used orange paper for the flame on the inside and yellow cello paper for the flame on the outside.
The ring toss was made from a piece of cardboard cut into a square and a Pringles packet glued onto it. When that was dry we painted it black. To make the rings, we used paper plates and cut the middle out of them before painting them the appropriate colours.
You can download some free Winter Olympics Colour By Number Pages by clicking on the link below.
Download the Winter Olympics Notebooking Pages by using the link below.
Download your free Russia Notebooking Pages using the link below.
Download your copy of the Winter Olympics 3 Part Cards below
- hold your own Olympics. We did this in our backyard, but we don’t have snow here so it was more like a Summer Olympics
- Make Olympic Ring biscuits. We made round biscuits and cut out the centre. We iced them in the same colours as the Olympic Rings
- Make Olympic Ring cupcakes. We used white icing on the cupcakes and then added smarties in the correct colours for the rings.
Printable and Craft Activities
- Activity Village
- Make and Takes
- Teacher Vision
- The Olympics
- Winter Olympics Colour By Number
- Winter Olympics Notebooking Pages
- Winter Olympics 3 Part Cards
History of the Winter Olympic Games
For other great resources check out the Schoolhouse Review Crew
Also Linking to: