The Tasmanian devil is a unique Australian animal that is currently only found in Tasmania. Driven from mainland Australia, possibly by dingoes, these devils are the largest carnivorous marsupials in the world. Learn more about these creatures that grow to about the size of a small dog with this fun and free Tasmanian Devil Lapbook.
Tasmanian Devil Facts
These devils are named after the sound that they make. The first European settlers in Tasmania began hearing blood-curling shrieks and screeches in the bush during the night which they thought sounded like devils. Hence, the name Tasmanian devils. These creatures make these loud, strange sounds while eating as well as to scare off other animals.
Speaking of eating, with their oversized heads, devils deliver the strongest bite for its size of any mammal in the world. They are able to open their jaws up to 80 degrees wide! The force of their jaws enables them to crush and consume all of their prey including the fur, bone and organs. Not leftovers here.
Tasmanian Devil Lapbook
This Devil Lapbook is a great way for children who love a hands-on approach to learning, learn about the Tasmanian devil.
There are a variety of ‘books and flaps’ for children to complete as they learn about devils. Books or access to the internet will need to be provided for some of the activities. A folder such as these file folders or a notebook is needed to create a lapbook.
- Classification of the Tasmanian Devil
- Predators of the devil
- Prey of the devil
- Habitat of the devil
- Write out some facts in their own words in the Tasmanian devil facts book
- Tasmanian devil life cycle wheel
- The threats that the devils face, especially Devil Facial Tumour Disease (DFTD)
- Devils can, have and need
- Vocabulary words including carnivore, sense, aggressive, threat, endangered, extinct, carrion, habitat, nocturnal, marsupial and mammal.
- Parts of a Tasmanian Devil
- Helping the devils from becoming extinct
- Puzzle of a devil – comes in both colour and black and white versions
- Acrostic Poem
Instructions as well as many photos to follow are included in the pack.
To grab your copy of this lapbook, sign up below: