Here’s an easy and fun way for children of all ages to learn to weave.
They can turn their straw weaving into bookmarks or bracelets.
To complete a straw weaving, you will need:
To Make your Straw Weaving
1. Cut lengths of wool that are about 4 inches longer than your straws. If you are using 4 straws, cut 4 lengths, if you are using 5, cut 5 lengths.
2. Thread one length of wool through each straw and tie a knot at one end of the straws to keep the wool from going through.
3. Using masking tape, tape the top end of the straws together.
4. Tie the end of the roll of wool around the top of one of the end straws.
Pictured: Steps 1 to 4
5. Slowly thread the wool in and out of each of the straws. Be careful not to pull the wool too tight.
6. When you get to the end of the straws (or the length you want), tie off the end of the wool onto one of the outside straws.
If you wish to change colours of wool, just tie one end of the wool you are using onto the next colour you want to use.
Pictured: Steps 5 and 6
7. Take the tape off the straws. While holding the top knot, slowly push your weaving up to the top.
Pictured: Step 7
8. Slowly pull the straws out and tie another knot at the bottom end.
There you have it. Your very own straw weaving. This could be used as a bookmark. If you wish to make a bracelet, tie the two ends together.