UNTIL NOW!!I found this tutorial at Sew-much-ado and gave it a go.
It was easy to follow and worked great. It didn’t take long to do either.
After putting on the pants and working out how much they needed to be taken up, all you had to do was divide that number by 2 (eg. hubby’s pants needed to be taken up 8cm, divide by 2 gives you 4cm.).
I measured up 4cm not including the original hem and pinned the right sides together. I then put the zip foot (This was new to me. I have never heard of a zip foot, and didn’t know that one had actually come with the sewing machine when I bought it and it also was extremely easy to change the feet, which I had never done before.)
I stitched (through both layers) right next to the original hem around both hems.
When done, I turned the folded edges in and tried them on – well hubby tried these ones on. They fitted great.
Then I trimmed off the excess fabric and zigzagged the raw edges so they wouldn’t fray.
Then I turned them in the right way, gave them an iron and we were done!!!
Yeah. It’s amazing what you can do when you find the right instructions!!