This sausage pie recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious. I grew up on something similar as a child and now my kids love it too.
With only three ingredients, this sausage pie is so easy to assemble before putting it in the oven to bake.
All you need is puff pastry, eggs and sausages as well as a little salt and pepper to taste.
This dish is usually served as a main meal, with a few vegetables, such as mashed potato, carrots and beans, or a salad on the side.
For this recipe, the sausages are first boiled and the skin is then removed. This helps to make sure that the sausages are fully cooked when served.
I use beef sausages, plain or flavoured, as they are the ones we enjoy them the most, though you could try other types of sausages as well.
If you wanted to, you could also add some grated vegetables, such as onion, carrot and zucchini to the eggs when you beat them or even some herbs or spices.
Serve with Salads or Vegetables
- Creamy Potato Salad
- Pumpkin, Feta and Rocket Salad
- BLT Salad
- Tomato-Spinach Pasta Salad
- Cauliflower Broccoli Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 4 sheets Puff Pastry, depending on the size of your casserole dish
- 8 Sausages you may need more – see above
- 5 Eggs
- 1 TBSP milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 extra egg, beaten
- Boil the sausages in water, so that the skin is starting to come off. Take them off the heat and remove all the skin.
- Grease a casserole dish and lay 2 sheets of pastry on the bottom making sure some goes up the sides.
- Cut the sausages into small pieces and lay on top of the pastry.
- Beat the eggs with a little milk, salt and pepper and pour over the sausages.
- Place the rest of the pastry on top and seal.
- Break the extra egg into a bowl and lightly beat. Using a pastry brush, brush the pastry on the top of the pie.
- Press some holes in the top of the pastry with a fork and bake 180˚C for around 30 minutes until browned.
- Serve immediately with cooked vegetables or a salad.