Everyone in our house loves monte carlo biscuits. I’m not sure why, they just taste so yummy. So one cold and rainy day out in the middle of the bush, we were getting hungry and the boys suggested monte carlo biscuits. Of course we had none in the cupboard, so I decided to bake some.
These were so delicious, not exactly like the real things, but very close. I have made them multiple times now and they are always devoured very quickly.
The one thing with this recipe is making an even number of biscuits and getting the biscuits to roughly the same size. This makes it much easier when sandwiching them together.
For the filling, I used our homemade strawberry jam, which you can find the recipe here: Strawberry Jam.
Monte Carlo Biscuits
- 185 g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/4 cups SR Flour
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 60 g butter
- 3/4 cup icing mixture
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Line trays with baking paper
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix well
- Sift flours, add and mix well
- Add the coconut and mix well
- Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on baking trays
- Press a fork lightly onto balls
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown
- Remove from oven, leave on trays for 5 mins before placing onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Cream the butter and sifted icing mixture until light and fluffy
- Add the vanilla essence and mix
- Gradually add the milk and mix well
- Place a teaspoon of jam onto the middle of a biscuit
- Top with a teaspoon of buttercream filling
- Place another biscuit onto and press together lightly until the jam and filling reach the edges of the biscuit.
- Store in an airtight container.
You may also like: