Lemon Meringue Pie
This delicious lemon meringue pie isn’t as hard to make as you may think. The meringue does take some time to get right, when you do, this pie will become one of your favourite dishes.
Some tips to help with the meringue are:
- Egg whites are easier to separate when they are cold.
- Make sure there are no little bits of egg yolk in the egg whites when you separate them as this will affect your meringue.
- The egg whites will whip better when they are at room temperature, so after separating, wait for a bit until making the meringue.
- When whipping egg whites, make sure you bowl and whisk are completely clean, with no traces of fat.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and slowly add the sugar, beating in between each addition.
- When cooking meringue, it needs to be done at a low temperature and let to cool slowly.
- Make sure the meringue is touching the sides of the tart shell as this seals in the lemon filling, allowing the crust and the meringue to grip together.
More Lemon Recipes
- Lemon Marmalade Jam
- Lemon Balm Jelly
- Lemon Jelly Jam
- Lemon Extract
- Lemon Curd
- Orange and Lemon Marmalade
- Lemon Rosemary Sugar Scrub
- Lemon Lime Cupcakes
- No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake
- Spanish Lemon Cake
- Lemon Meringue Fudge
- Lemon Coconut Slice
Lemon Meringue Pie
Tart Shell or Use a pre-Made One
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 125 g butter
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tin (395g) condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 3 egg whites
- pinch cream of tartar
- Grease and line a pie pan.
- Mix sugar and butter together.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the butter mixture.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Wrap in clingwrap and refrigerate for about one hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured board and place into pie pan.
- Prick the dough with a fork before covering with baking paper. Pour over beans for blind baking.
- Bake 180˚C for about 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Using electric beaters, beat the condensed milk, lemon juice and 3 egg yolks until well combined.
- Pour over cooled prepared base.
- Preheat oven to 160˚C or 140˚C for fan forced.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the caster sugar and a pinch of cream of tartar and beat until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Carefully spoon the meringue over the lemon mixture.
- Place in oven and bake until lightly brown.
- Let cool in oven before transferring to the refridgerator.