While grocery shopping last week, I came across a packet of lemons and limes that was reduced. I purchased it as I wanted a couple of lemons, but was wondering what I could do with the limes, when along came these lemon lime cupcakes.
I wasn’t sure how our boys would react to these as they aren’t really keen on lemons and haven’t had much to do with limes, but they loved them! And a good thing too as this recipe made 24 cupcakes!
I could have used this recipe to make two cakes and put them together with the lime icing, but I like the convenience of cupcakes for morning and afternoon teas.
Lemon Lime Cupcakes
Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
Lime Icing Mix
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 TBSP lime zest
- 1/2 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 2-4 TSBP milk
- Preheat oven to 180˚C
- Place cupcake liners into baking tray.
- In a large bowl mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and yolks, one at a time and mix well.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- Alternating, add in the flour mixture and buttermilk. Mixing after each add in.
- Spoon batter into cupcake containers.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the pans to cool for 10 minutes before taking the cupcakes out and completely cooling them on a cake rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the lime buttercream.
- In a large bowl, cream together the icing sugar and butter until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the milk, lime zest and juice and beat until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Colour with food coloring if desired.