These delicious and refreshing lemon lime cupcakes are a great way to use the fresh fruit that we are able to grow in our orchard.
Lemon Lime Cupcakes
These fluffy, moist and citrusy cupcakes are perfect for a family get-together, bbq or morning or afternoon tea. The refreshing lime buttercream icing sets them off! I added a few drops of yellow food colouring to the icing, them sprinkled with lime zest.
Choosing Lemons and Limes
To make these lovely cupcakes, it is best to use the juice and zest from fresh lemons and limes. When choosing these citrus fruits, look for ones that are unblemished, and that feel heavy for their size. They should be firm, but still have a little bit of give. Avoid pale, light lemons as they usually contain less juice. Under-ripe limes don’t have much of a smell, so lightly scratch the skin and if it smells delicious, you have a lime that is ready to use.
Making the Cupcakes
To make moist and fluffy cupcakes, first beat the butter and the sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Slowly and carefully add the egg and the egg yolks. Once mixed through, add the lemon juice and mix, then add in the vanilla extract and mix.
In another bowl, whisk together the plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
Carefully add in some of the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating and mixing in after each add in.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for up to 25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
Completely cool the cupcakes before piping on the buttercream.
Making the Lime Buttercream
To make the delicious lime buttercream, cream the icing sugar and butter until smooth.
Gradually add in the lime zest and juice and colour, if using.
Carefully add the milk, a little at a time, and beat until smooth and stiff.
Pipe onto cupcakes and sprinkle with extra lemon and lime zest.
Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
More Lemon and Lime Recipes
- Lemon Syrup
- Lime Syrup
- Lemon Balm Jelly
- Lemon Curd
- Orange and Lemon Marmalade
- DIY Lemon Extract
- Lemon Coconut Slice
- Lemon Cheesecake
- Lemon Cake
- Lemon Meringue Fudge
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Lemon Jelly Jam Recipe
- Macadamia and Lime Fudge
Lemon Lime Cupcakes
Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 TBSP lime zest
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2-4 TBSP milk
- Preheat oven to 180˚C
- Place cupcake liners into baking tray.
- In a large bowl mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and yolks, one at a time and mix well.
- Mix in lemon juice and the vanilla extract separately.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- Alternating, add in the flour mixture and buttermilk. Mixing after each add in.
- Spoon batter into cupcake containers.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the pans to cool for 10 minutes before taking the cupcakes out and completely cooling them on a cake rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the lime buttercream.
- In a large bowl, cream together the icing sugar and butter until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the lime zest and juice and beat . Colour with food coloring if desired.
- Carefully add the milk, a bit at a time beating until smooth and stiff.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with lemon and lime zest.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Oh these look so good!
I have a lemon mad child so I’m pinning this recipe so she can bake it!