Learn how to make homemade Lemon Extract with just two ingredients that is perfect addition for you homemade baking.
Homemade Lemon Extract
This lemon extract is made with two ingredients – lemon zest and vodka. You could zest a lemon for this or you could collect zest before you use your lemons in other dishes or to make flavoured water. Store this zest in the freezer until you have enough to make your extract.
When you zest your lemon, try to take just the yellow bit off as the white bit – the pith – can be bitter which could make your extract not that nice.
For those who can’t use vodka, this extract can also be made with food grade glycerin, but it does take much longer to infuse. If you do use glycerin, it may take 6 weeks or longer to get to your liking.
Lemon extract can be used to flavour water or other beverages, added to tea, or in baking cupcakes, muffins, or even in marinades and sauces. You could even add a splash to your smoothies. Though, just remember, a little does go a long way.
- DIY Lemon Extract
- DIY Hollandaise Sauce
- Homemade Mint Extract
- Homemade Vanilla Extract
- Homemade Ginger Kombucha
- Homemade Instant Pancake Mix
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packs
- How to make Brown Sugar
- How to Make Buttermilk
- Apple Turnovers
- Slow Cooker Caramel in a Tin
- Apple Crumble
- Banana, Mango and Raspberry Popsicles
- Milk Bread Rolls
- Strawberry Jam
- Strawberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes
- Strawberry Coconut Slice
- Pumpkin, Feta and Rocket Salad
- BLT Salad
- Tomato-Spinach Pasta Salad
- Zucchini Slice
- Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- Choc Chip Cookie Slice
- Chocolate Weet-Bix Slice
- Chocolate Mousse
- Churros with Hot Chilli Chocolate
- Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Fudge Slice
- Apple and Sour Cream Slice
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake Slice
- Chocolate Cheesecake Slice
- Tim Tam Cheesecake
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake
- Chorizo, Egg and Potato Salad
- Cauliflower Broccoli Salad
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup vodka
- glass bottle or jar with lid
- Wash and dry the skin of the lemon.
- Peel thin strips of zest from the lemon.
- Place the zest into the glass bottle or jar.
- Fill the bottle or jar with vodka.
- Add the lid and place in a cool, dark place for about 4 weeks.
- Every few days, tilt your bottle upside down to gently mix the liquid inside.
- After about 4 - 6 weeks, strain out the zest and discard. Pour the lemon extract into a small, clean jar ready to use when needed.