Learn how to easily cook the prefer brown rice using an Instant pot in 20 minutes. Using an Instant Pot to cook brown rice is not only quicker, but you can set and forget, no need to tend the pot.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
Cooking the perfect brown rice can be quite tricky, especially if the water-to-rice ratios are not accurate. This can lead to uncooked, hard, burnt or mushy rice. Using this recipe, you will end up with 6-8 cups of cooked brown rice, as 1 cup of uncooked brown rice makes around 3 – 4 cups of cooked brown rice.
Rice Button on the Instant Pot
The rice button on the Instant Pot doesn’t work the best for brown rice. It just doesn’t seem to cook the brown rice long enough. The setting does work well for white rice.
On another note, I have a 6-quart Instant pot and have found that a larger batch, such as this recipe, works better. If you half this recipe in the same size or larger Instant pot, you may find that your rice will burn. As the leftovers can always be stored, it is better to cook a large batch at a time to make sure that you rice will cook evenly.
What is Brown Rice?
Brown rice is rice that has not had the bran, germ and aleurone layer removed. This unpolished whole grain rice is more nutritious and higher in fibre.
Making Ahead and Storing
A large batch of brown rice can be made ahead, as it can be kept in the fridge or freezer.
Cooled leftovers can be storied in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer, in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. The rice can be reheated quickly in the microwave.
Cooking Brown Rice
To cook the perfect brown rice, you will need:
- 2 cups (500g) long grain brown rice
- 2 cups (500ml) water
Place water into the Instant Pot.
Add the rice and give it a gentle stir.
Check that the venting knob is in the venting position.
Close the lid and then set the valve to the sealing position.
Set the pot using MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK for 15 minutes.
Allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick release (turn the venting knob to venting position).
Carefully the lid carefully.
Fluff the rice with a fork. If the rice is a little wet, let it rest for a bit, allowing the moisture to escape.
- Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Wings
- Gluten Free Chicken Stirfry
- Tomato Spinach Pasta Salad
- BLT Salad
- Zucchini Slice
- Sweet Potato and Bacon Slice
- Menu Planning Binder
Instant Pot Brown RiceSimple Living. Creative Learning
- 2 cups (500g) Long Grain Brown Rice
- 2 Cups (500ml) Water
- Place water into the Instant Pot.
- Add the rice and give it a gentle stir.
- Check that the venting knob is in the venting position.
- Close the lid and then set the valve to the sealing position.
- Set the pot using MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK for 15 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick release (turn the venting knob to venting position).
- Carefully the lid carefully.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. If the rice is a little wet, let it rest for a bit, allowing the moisture to escape.
- Enjoy immediately.