Hubby loves this Honey cake and has asked me to make it on many occasions.
He has now got our boys addicted to it and they are also asking for it constantly.
Luckily it is a simple cake to make and I love that I don’t have to ‘ice’ it.
If you have a vanilla or butter cake mix already, all you need to do is bake that and then make the sauce and you’re done.
If you don’t have a packet cake mix, I have added instructions on how I make my plain vanilla cake.
Heuningkoek ~ South African Honey Cake
- Vanilla Cake
- 125 g butter
- 2/3 cup caser sugar
- 2 large eggs
- vanila essence
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups SR Flour
- Honey Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup butter
- Beat butter and sugar to a cream.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Add a small amount of vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour and add alternately with the milk.
- Mix to make a soft dough.
To make the cake
- Pour into a greased pan and bake in a moderate oven 180˚C for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out from pan and stand on a wire rack to cool.
To make the honey sauce
- Melt the honey and butter together while cake is baking.
- As soon as the cake is out of the oven, prick the top of it with a fork to make many holes and pour over the honey sauce.
It is nicer warm, but hubby and the boys still like it like this too.