After our oldest boy reacted with penicillin, I became interested in a more natural approach to health. We have been using these for a while now, though you can never stop learning about the amazing therapeutic and medicinal benefits of these oils. Here are a few ideas to help you get started with essential oils.
So What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are the highly concentrated version of the natural oils in plants. The process of retrieving these oils from plants is done by a process called distillation, most commonly distillation by steam or water. Many parts of the plants can be used for this process; the roots, leaves, seeds, stems, flowers and bark. After this process has taken place, you have a highly concentrated plant extract or portion of essential oil, most of which possess potent medicinal qualities.
Essential oils are not the same as perfumes or fragrance oils that are artificially created. They are a product of nature which is why they carry the essence of fragrance of the plants from which they are extracted from. Only pure essential oils should be used for aromatherapy purposes.
Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine in which essential oils, as well as herbs, hydrosols and other natural substances are used. For a substance to be aromatherapeutic, it must be completely natural. They do not contain synthetic ingredients.
How do Use Essential Oils?
- They can be applied topically to the skin. This way they are immediately absorbed by the skin. Never use directly (neat) on the skin, especially children, it is safer to always dilute with a carrier oil such as sweet almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil or apricot kernel oil, to avoid skin sensitization and allergies. Long term use of using essential oils neat on the skin can make a person more prone to rashes and other skin issues. Never apply essential oils to sensitive areas and eyes.
- Essential Oils can be inhaled in a personal inhaler or through the use of an aromatherapy diffuser necklace.
- 2-3 drops of essential oils can also be added to a bowl of hot water and inhaled as steam. Sit comfortably, place your head over the bowl, and drape a towel over your head. Breathe in slowly and deeply a few times. This is particularly good for congestion.
- One of the best ways to use essential oils is in a diffuser. There are a variety of different diffusers available on the market, but the general idea is to add water to the diffuser with a few drops of essential oils and then activate the diffuser.
- Essential oils can also be used in household cleaning products, bath products as well as skin care products.
10 Popular Essential Oils
- Lavender – great for soothing and calming. Helps with sleep, cuts, bruises as well as relieve stress and anxiety symptoms. A great addition to personal care products.
- Lemon – great for cleaning. Uplifting oil that can help boost happiness and concentration, provide immune support and help with digestion.
- Peppermint – energising and uplifting. Helps with head tension, nausea and digestive support. Helps soothe respiratory infections and is another oil that is popular for cleaning. Also good for repelling spiders and ants.
- Frankincense – anti-inflammatory. Helps with head tension, boosting the immune system and combating infections. Can also help with reducing stress and nervous tension.
- Melaleuca / Tea Tree – anti-fungal and antibacterial – Helps with skin issues, has cleansing properties and can help fight material, fungal and viral infections.
- Eucalyptus – antibacterial, anti-inflammatory – There are a few species of eucalyptus, the most popular ring Eucalyptus globules. Can help with nasal decongestion and respiratory infections.
- Germ Fighter / Germ Destroyer – immune support – Helps boost the immune system, fights viruses and bacteria. Good for cleaning and wellness.
- Respir Aid / Sniffle Stopper – congestion and seasonal issues. Helps clear congestion, allowing for easier breathing.
- Deodorizing – Freshen up – Keep your home, gym bag, shoes and more smelling fresh and clean.
- Orange – uplifting and calming – This ‘happy’ oil can help with nervous tension, anxiety and help with depression. It can also be using in cleaning products.
Don’t forget using essential oils are potent and need to be used with caution. Some can’t be used around young children or when pregnant and others are not safe for animals. Before using essential oils, you need to do your research. There are many companies which you can purchase essential oils from – Plant Therapy, doTerra, Young Living and Rocky Mountain Oils – to list a few. Do your research to make sure you are using essential oils from a reputable company that can prove where their oils are coming from and what they are made up from.
Essential oils have changed our lives. We are now living a healthier and cleaner life with less allergies and sickness. If you want to purchase these amazing oils too and change your life, we use: Plant Therapy Essential Oils
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.