Lately, the fruit and vegetable shop I go to has started selling boxes of fruit and vegetables. I have started buying many of these boxes as not only is it cheaper, but it is helping us to eat healthier. Usually with the boxes of oranges, we juice some and eat the rest, but this time I decided to try something different. With the box of bananas I purchased, we made ice creamand ice cream and some yummy banana bars, so I thought I would have a go at some easy orange cupcakes.
These cupcakes were easy to make, freeze well and are great with a hot drink for morning or afternoon tea. They are also very yummy, which means I will be making lots more of these in the future.
Easy Orange Cake
- Orange Cake
- 1/2 cup 125g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour sifted
- 1 TBSP orange rind
- Orange Icing
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar sifted
- 1-2 TBSP orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp orange rind
- Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350˚F.
- Line cupcake baking tray with cupcake liners.
- Combine the of the cake ingredients in a bowl and beat well for 3 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners.
- Bake in the moderate oven for 20-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Turn onto wire rack and allow to cool.
- Make the orange icing by mixing all the icing ingredients together well.
- Ice the cupcakes with orange icing.
- Sprinkle with orange rind or shredded coconut if desired.
I have created some gorgeous conversion charts which you can print out on white cardstock and laminate for durability and keep on hand.