We are studying France at the moment, and are trying to make some easy French recipes. This Croque Madame recipe was easy and the we all loved and enjoyed this great breakfast meal.
It was also very quick to make and we actually had all the ingredients sitting here at home. It would also be lovely as a light lunch.
- Apple Turnovers
- Apple Crumble
- Banana, Mango and Raspberry Popsicles
- Milk Bread Rolls
- Strawberry Jam
- Strawberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes
- Strawberry Coconut Slice
- Pumpkin, Feta and Rocket Salad
- BLT Salad
- Tomato-Spinach Pasta Salad
- Zucchini Slice
- Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- Choc Chip Cookie Slice
- Chocolate Weet-Bix Slice
- Chocolate Mousse
- Churros with Hot Chilli Chocolate
- Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Fudge Slice
- Apple and Sour Cream Slice
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake Slice
- Chocolate Cheesecake Slice
- Tim Tam Cheesecake
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake
Croque Madame, is a French recipe, that is a wonderful way to start the day. It is an easy to make meal for a quick breakfast.
- 8 thick slices of bread, lightly toasted
- 2 TBSP mustard
- 150 g sliced ham
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- salad, to serve
To Make the Bechamel Sauce
- 40 g butter
- 2 TBSP plain flour
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place 4 slices of bread on an oven tray and spread evenly with mustard. Top with ham.
- Make the bechamel sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan on high and stir in flour. Cook for 1 min. Remove from heat and stir in the milk. Return to heat and cook, stirring until sauce boils and thickens. Season to taste.
- Spread half the sauce evenly oven the ham. Cover with the remaining bread slices and top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, heat a lightly greased frypan and fry the eggs for 2-3 mins until set. Top each sandwich with an egg.
- Served halved with salad.
Tried this recipe? Share a pic on Instagram#simplelivingcreativelearning