Banana cake is a favourite in our house and I am forever making it. I always make 3 or 4 at a time and freeze them, so when we want one, I just take it out of the freezer to defrost. Though, eating it cold on a hot summers day is quite cooling.
When I found this recipe, I just knew I had to have a go. It is not much different from the normal banana cake, just the taste of cinnamon makes it delicious.
I made the recipe for the banana cake the same as I do for our banana muffins. This recipe is:
Cinnamon Ripple Banana Cake
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP butter / margarine
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups SR Flour
- 2 TBSP milk
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease loaf tin. Beat the mashed bananas with the eggs and then add all of the other ingredients, mixing well.
Then for the cinnamon ripple part
- Combine 1/3 cup of sugar and 2 TBSP of cinnamon in a bowl. Mix.
- Add a thin layer of the banana cake mix into the loaf tin and spread it out the best you can.
- Sprinkle about half of the cinnamon and sugar mixture on top. Spread another layer of the cake mix on top the cinnamon mix. Sprinkle again with the cinnamon mix and then top with the rest of the banana cake mix.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- You can ice the cake with a simple icing. Our boys love a simple lemon icing.