I have to admit that I never normally buy fresh beetroot. The reason we did this time was as we had read that if you feed silkworms beetroot leaves, their silk may turn to a pale pink colour.We tried to feed the silkworms the beetroot leaves, but they wouldn’t eat them! One even made it’s cocoon in the leaves, so we had all these beetroots and leaves and I had no idea what to do with them.
I went looking for a recipe and came across this Beetroot Cupcake recipe on the Thermomix forum.
I boiled all the beetroots we had, but had 4 left over which I baked to have with our pork roast that night.
- 190g caster sugar
- 290g cooked beetroot
- 65g oil
- 2 eggs
- 290g plain flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- maple syrup to taste
- Preheat over to 175g fan-forced.
- Add beetroot to bowl and puree 10 sec SP9. Scrape down sides and puree again 20 sec SP 9 until a chunky puree.
- Add oil and eggs and mix 30 sec SP 6.
- Add sugar, flour and baking powder and then mix on SP4 for 30 secs.
- Add maple syrup to taste and mix 10 sec SP4.
- Place into patty cases and bake for approximately 20 mins.
- I used pink coloured icing on them which really did make them. We found they just needed a little sweetening which the icing helped with. Maybe if you added a little more maple syrup they would not need the icing. I only added about 1 TBSP of maple syrup, you could try with a little more.
Recipe from: Recipe Community!