After making the passionfruit curd, I was left with four egg whites, so I decided to make some basic meringues to have with the curd. This recipe only has four ingredients and is very easy to make.
I decorated our meringues with a small amount of whipped cream and a dollop of passionfruit curd.
Basic Meringue Recipe
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- pinch salt
- 220 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 120˚C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites and salt until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar, a TBSP at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Once all the sugar has been added, continue to which on high for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the vanilla essence.
- Pipe or place teaspoons of the meringue onto the lined trays.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 90˚C and bake the meringues for 11/2 hours.
- Turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside the oven until completely cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.