With our recent purchase of a waffle maker coinciding with a huge, fresh bunch of homegrown bananas, we have been enjoying these tasty banana waffles.
These banana waffles came about due to the fact that our bunch of homegrown bananas was ripening rather quickly on us and I was looking for ways to use the bananas so that they wouldn’t go to waste. We love the plain, fluffy waffles, and these were just as good.
To make them you will need a waffle iron, which you should be able to pick up from a variety of stores at a reasonable price. Some make square waffles and some make round ones, it all depends on your preference and budget at the time.
To make these waffles, you will need to mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl – the plain flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
In another small bowl, whisk the eggs whites until soft peaks form.
In a small jug, mix together the egg yolks, milk and vanilla extract.
Slowly stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until fully incorporated, then add the mashed banana and melted butter. If at this stage, your mixture looks a little to wet, you can slowly add in a little more flour at a time until you get the consistency that you are looking for.
Finally, fold through the egg whites before cooking in your waffle iron.
Serve with ice cream, slice banana, maple syrup, whipped cream or any other topping for your choice.
- Waffle Iron
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1 cup banana, mashed
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray or rub with a little melted butter.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking pwder, salt, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- In a small jug, beat the egg yolks with the milk and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and the melted butter.
- Fold through the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into your waffle iron and cook as per the waffle irons instructions.
- Serve with sliced banana, maple syrup, peanut butter, icce cream, honey, melted chocolate, whipped cream or any other topping of your choice.