Now this recipe was a winner. Banana Bread Bars – everyone loved them!
This recipe is definitely a keeper.
It tastes a bit like moist banana bread, but the icing just makes it so much nicer and it is so easy to make!
Banana Bread Bars
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 300 ml sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup ripe bananas mashed (I used 4)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups icing mixture
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 TBSP milk
- Heat oven to 180C. Grease and flour a large lamington tray, about 15x10 inch.
- In a large bowl beat together sugar, sour cream, butter and eggs until creamy. Blend in the bananas and vanilla essence.
- Add the flour, bicarb soda and salt and blend. Stir in walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- For the icing. In a saucepan, heat butter until boiling. Let it turn a delicate brown and remove from heat.
- Add icing mixture, vanilla essence and milk. Whisk together until smooth - thicker than a glaze but thinner than icing. Spread the icing over the warm bars.
- Refrigerate until cool and then slice into bars.
Adapted from The Recipe Critic
What is your favourite banana recipe?