Unfortunately, letter confusion is a common issue with many little ones. But don’t worry, these are two letters that are so often confused by children when they are learning to read and write. To help these children who struggle with this, grab our b and d reversal printables at the bottom of this post.
b and d Reversal Confusion
Known as mirror writing, reversing letters is normal behaviour for young children until around the ages of 7 and 8. As writing letters backwards is a part of normal development of handwriting skills, it does not mean that your child is dyslexic. Letter reversal can also be caused by visual processing or phonetic awareness issues.
With age, practice and more time allowed for their brain to develop, this confusion of the letters b and d, normally ceases during second grade. If not, then you might want to consider seeking out more advice after they have reached this age.
What is Letter Reversal?
Letter reversal occurs when a letter is written incorrectly, either backwards or upside down. This ‘mirror writing’ is most common with the letters b, d, p, and q.
These four letters are all the exact same letter, only they have been turned and flipped around in different directions. As children become more fluent with their reading skills, they begin to remember these letters and use them correctly.
Helping Correct b and d Reversal
A fun, hands-on way to help with correcting this confusion is to have them practice writing the letters of the alphabet in a large sandpit, in shaving cream on a plate or in a container of rice.
If they prefer to create the letters, try having them form them using clay, playdough or even salt dough.
Having children make the correct letter sounds as they write the letter will help with building their memory, as will working on their handwriting. They can practice writing the letters on a large chalkboard or whiteboard as they repeat the letter sounds.
b and d Reversal Printables
These b and d reversal printables contain many activities to help children learn the difference between the letters b and d.
- b has a belly poster in both colour and black and white
- d wears a diaper poster in both colour and black and white
- b is for baseball poster in both colour and black and white
- d is from drum poster in both colour and black and white
- ‘bed’ poster in both colour and black and white
- b playdough mat
- d playdough mat
- b do-a-dot mat
- d do-a-dot mat
- Say the sounds activity
- Trace the letter b
- Trace the letter d
- Trace both the letters b and d
- Roll and write the letters
- Spin and shade the matching letter
- Shade all the letter b maze
- Shade all the letter d maze
- Letter b – Shade the pictures and write the letter
- Letter d – Shade the pictures and write the letter
- Find and shade the pictures that begin with the letter b
- Find and shade the pictures that begin with the letter d
- Write the missing letter ‘b’
- Write the missing letter ‘d’
- Circle the matching letter
- Cut and paste the pictures into the correct column
- Cut and paste the letters into the correct column
- Find and shade the letter b
- Find and shade the letter d
- Letter b – rainbow the letter, trace and write the letter, complete the maze, circle the letter, write the beginning sound and shade in the picture
- Letter d – rainbow the letter, trace and write the letter, complete the maze, circle the letter, write the beginning sound and shade in the picture
- Letters b and d – trace the letters, trace the lines to join the letter, shade the pictures
- Letter b colour by code
- Letter d colour by code
- b and d Reversal Bookmarks
- Days of the Week Printables
- Months of the Year Printables
- Compound Words Printables
- Movie Night Colour By Code Worksheets
- Dab and Find Worksheets
- Joseph and the Coat of Many Colours
- 100+ Free Printables for Home or School Use
- Treasure Chest Sight Words Activity
- CVC Pencil Puzzles
- Western CVC Words
- Build a CVC Word – Crab Theme
- CVC Tracing Strips
- Build a CVC Word – Construction Theme
- Build a CVC Word – Beach Theme
- CVC Short A Activities
- CVC Short E Activities
- CVC Short I Activities
- CVC Short O Activities
- CVC Short U Activities
- Short A CVC Printables
To grab your copy of these printables, click on the link below: